[access-uk] Re: Braille transcription programmesRe: Re: Braille transcription programme

  • From: Christopher Maule-Oatway <c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:55:32 +0100

Hello,

A good, free, translation program is nfbtrans, which comes from the American National Federation of the Blind. It is a MS-DOS program, but runs well in Windows XP. A Windows front-end has been written for it. It is easy to use, and putting control commands into a document or making changes in the default tables gives it a lot of flexibility.

The disadvantage of this program is that it only translates/embosses from a text file, so Word documents or RTF files have to be converted.

Put nfbtrans in your favourite search engine to find out what you need to know.

I use this program on Windows XP home, and my braille embosser is an Index Basic, which is coming up to its eighteenth birthday!

I have tried Winbraille with some success and especially like the six-key entry feature and the foreign language braille tables. However, I have problems with line lengths and margins, probably because my embosser is old, and the line of code that Winbraille prints out at the top of each document is most annoying!

Cheers,

Christopher

At 14:17 25/05/2007 +0100, you wrote:
Hello Gena

I have Home XP, JAWS and run an Index embosser.

I have used WinBraille in the past but this has developed a bug which I have not been able to resolve. I then reverted to Cypher but this does not provide sufficient flexibility in presentation.

Duxbury and WinTrans have been suggested but at £385 and over £800, this is too much. I did see that WinTrans has a free demo version but one of the limitations is 250 odd text entries.

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount to obtain an effective programme but these figures are too high.

Peter