[access-uk] Re: Braille notetakers

  • From: Glenn Tookey <glenn.tookey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jackie Cairns <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:53:13 +0000

Happy to demo the new Braille sense U2 ( updated 32 and the On Hand 18.

Regards
Glenn

Sender: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes the battery life could be a bit better, it does tend to be rather greedy.
But then I have WiFi turned on so I can use it around the house, and maybe this
is one reason why it does go more quickly.  I guess it depends on how much you
use it.  I bought a spare for mine, but they don't come cheap.  But at least
you can change the battery on it, something you could never do on Pac Mate.

And as for price, which Eleanor asked for, I think it's about £3,699 for the
32 cell, and I'm not sure about the OnHand 18, but it isn't much cheaper
because it comes with a built-in GPS receiver (not the maps etc), and a Talking
Books and Talking Newspapers subscription for one year.  Maybe Madlene or Paul
could confirm the price of the OnHand version.  It's a nice compact unit, and
while you change the battery in it, the kit comes with a separate battery
charger and an extra battery so you can charge one while using the other,
something I wish the 32 cell baby had.

Nice machines, both of them.  I tried the Apex too before choosing, but I just
preferred the BrailleSense somehow.  I just don't particularly like the KeySoft
layering, whereas while the BrailleSense runs under Windows CE, it feels more
realistic in terms of alt tabbing etc.

I hope Mary that if you decide to go for something, you take advantage of good
demonstrations beforehand, and if you require further info, please feel free to
Email me off list.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns