[access-uk] Re: Braille display options

  • From: "Pele West" <pele.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 09:17:34 +0000

Hi Catherine, Jackie and Everyone

I would endorse Jackie's praise for the Alva BC640.  A man came to visit us
from Optelec to demonstrate it before my husband bought one.

Essentially, there are 3 models:

The Alva BC640 with the Braille Feature Pack which allows you to use it as a
note taker

The Alva BC640 without the Braille Feature Pack, which is just a 40 cell display

And the Alva BC680 which is an 80-cell display but not a note taker.

It does not need any special software.  The demonstrator plugged it into the
USB port on a Windows 7 PC with Window-Eyes and it worked straight away.  I
can't remember it searching for any drivers but, if it did, it found them very
quickly.

I also like the Brailliant displays from Humanware.  Mine works with
Window-Eyes and Windows 7, but when I bought it it would not work with the
64-bit
version of Windows 7 and JAWS.  This may have changed.

It is harder to install than the Alva as a USB port has to be configured to
replicate a serial port and, when mine came, it had an old software disc.
Fortunately, I had downloaded the latest software from Humanware.

I hope all this helps.

Pele West