[access-uk] Braille and large print menus in Beefeater restaurants

  • From: "Clive Lever" <clive.lever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ncwfsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 16:25:47 +0100

Hi all,

I've just come back from a meal at a Beefeater Restaurant. They had a Braille
menu, but it was about six months out of date.  The guy at reception told me
that they'd placed their order for the latest menu in alternative formats at
the time they were notified that the standard print ones would be sent.
However, six months on, and just as those are themselves about to be
superseded, they are still waiting.  I have every simpaty for the people who
work in the individual restaurants in the chain, who are clearly keen to get it
right, but I can't understand the reason for the delay. I don't know if it is
their headquarters who are dragging their feet when making the request for the
alternative versions to be produced, or whether it's the transcribers who are
taking an inordinate amount of time to get the job done. I suspect it's the
former, because I know of no company who would take that long to produce a
30-braille-page booklet when commissioned to do so.

It's good that
Braille and large print menus are produced, but a shame they can't be on hand
in a timely manner, so that they can actually be fit for purpose.  One example
of the effect of the obsolete menu is that I asked if I could use my Nectar
card, and they said they haven't given Nectar points since last year, which is
not the end of the world , but is nonetheless embarrassing.

How would you deal with the question of making sure the Braille and large print
information we get from large organisations is always in date and in step with
the print copies?  For info, some years ago I had the same problem with the
questionnaires you get from the National Blood Transfusion Service when you
attend a doning session.

Best,
Clive

Brian Perkins does crazy things with the shipping forecast: On YouTube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWl0QD9W-Oc
And Charlotte Green poses as the Voicemail messenger from hell at:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7VIhcdYNI

Check out the videos, get the albums at www.bcab.org.uk, then steal this
signature.