[access-uk] Re: Boot up problem

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:30:56 +0100

Peter.

Sounds like some component is intermitintly failing the POST, (Power On Self Test).

Have you put any expandion cards in recently that you could take out one by one and see if it boots fine each time?

EG.  PCI to IDE card?

I'd also try booting it with the system drive plugged in. So if you've any other data drives unplug them.

If it boots fine after the drive unplug step it may very well be the psu.

It's one of those ones where you've just got to try everything.

It could also be a bad registry causing the unit to stall as it loads windows.

After trying the hardware and removing any unnecessary cards/other hardware that aren't needed for booting into the OS. The next step I'd try is re-installing XP.

Before lookg into new hardware.

Good hardware diognostic software is out there but it's all pretty much awkward for a totally blind person to use because it boots into it's own aplication that has no speech.
Barrys
Ôà
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxx>