[access-uk] Re: Book Courier Vs Bookworm

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:33:36 +0100

Barry,

There are no hardware changes.  All improvements are to the
firmware, hence why users can upgrade themselves.

George.

firmware update?

> I'm trying to establish how much of the firmware is
altered
> in upgraded models and how much is actual circuitry as
well.

> Dj Paddy
> "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
> It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
> The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
> It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."
> -- Popular Usenet Sig

line,
> word or even
> > character and check the spelling and such, something
that
> cannot be done
> > with either audio books or converted text2audio files.
> >
> > I am not a particular fan of Doubletalk as it reads too
> slow IMO, at least
> > it did on the old doubletalk card I had, but I'd prefer
> hardware over
> > software speech any time because of hardware speech's
higher
> > responsiveness and much lesser drain on resources.
> > I've heard somewhere that there is a major rework of
> Bookport in the
> > works, which is one reason that has let me hold off on
looking into
> > purchasing one at the time. From what I remember, this
> revamp was also to
> > include a new voice or voices for bookport. Since book
> courier is a very
> > similar if not related device, I wonder if a similar
upgrade or new
> > version is not also a possibility for book courier.
> >
> > Unfortunately I do not have a written source for the
> Bookport upgrade
> > information but only heard people talk about it.
> >
> > I think the bookworm is intersting for people who are
good
> with braille
> > and prefer braille over speech output. I myself don't
know
> enough braille
> > and have never used any peperless braille device but
know
> that people who
> > are fluent braille readers usually prefer braille
output.

> > Another thing to consider though is the storage capacity
of
> whatever
> > portable unit is to be decided on. The book Courier or
> Bookport is fairly
> > new technology and can use changeable memory cards for
> storage. I think
> > the bookworm is more contempory to the older Roadrunner
> book reading
> > device that only came with 2 or 3 megs of onboard memory

> for storage. But
> > I do not have specifications on the bookworm and do not
> know if it can use
> > flash or other similar storage. I just wanted to point
out
> that this is
> > something else to consider.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > doris
> >
> > At 10:39 AM 8/31/2005 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Mel
> >>
> >>I have never used either product, but I would point out
> that with the book
> >>Courier and Text Aloud from www.nextup.com, you can
convert
> text to mp3
> >>files at high speed using Microsoft's text-to-speech
engine
> or any other
> >>Sapi speech synthesiser that you might have.  They also
> sell the A T and T
> >>Natural Voices, Cepstral Voices, Neospeech Voices and I
> believe according
> >>their user forums they will have Real speak Version 4
soon
> as well.  So
> >>you
> >>could make mp3 files of your texts and then play them on

> the Book Courier.
> >>Obviously this will be a little more work, and will use
> more battery
> >>power.
> >>The reason that the Book Courier's speech isn't that
> brilliant is that it
> >>is
> >>using a hardware speech chip rather than the software
> synthesisers we have
> >>become used to in desktop screen readers.  The advantage
of
> this, though
> >>is
> >>that you can read text documents which take up less
space
> in its memory
> >>than
> >>mp3 files and use less battery power because there is no

> decoding process
> >>involved.
> >>
> >>As far as the bookworm goes, yes it has an
eight-character

<mel.spooner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

it,
> but I guess you

> thinking it has a

> interested to

County
> Council are
> >>confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
please
> notify the
> >>sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then
> delete it without
> >>making copies or using it in any other way.

the
> sender and do
> >>necessarily represent those of Nottinghamshire County
Council unless
> >>otherwise specifically stated.

been
> checked for
> >>before transmission, you are urged to carry out your own

> virus check
> >>before
> >>opening attachments, since the County Council accepts no

> responsibility
> >>for
> >>loss or damage caused by software viruses.

> under the Data
> >>Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act
> 2000, the contents
> >>may have to be disclosed in response to a request.

immediately-following link:-
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]

> >>** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
link:-
> >>**
> >>** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
> >>** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>** and in the Subject line type
> >>** unsubscribe
> >>** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on the
> >>** immediately-following link:-
> >>** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
> >>** or send a message, to