[access-uk] Blogging University at WordPress.com

  • From: "John O'Regan" <john.a.oregan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 22:32:59 +0000

Dear Access UK,

If you ever wanted your own blog, but were too afraid to ask, then
maybe you should consider signing up for the free courses on
WordPress.com's Blogging University. Follow this link for full
details:

https://dailypost.wordpress.com/blogging-university/

Several courses are commencing on November 2nd. You'll receive an
email every day for 2 or 3 weeks with your daily assignment. There's
also an online forum where you can interact with your classmates and
ask tutors for help.

To get started with WP, visit:

https://learn.wordpress.com/

and read the tutorials.

And yes, I have my own WP blog called The A11y Files:

https://thea11yfiles.wordpress.com/

I find using WP largely accessible, but it isn't perfect. The best
way to start a blog, imho, is to type a URL into the browser's address
bar and press Enter:

https://blogname.wordpress.com/

Substitute "blogname" for the name you want to call your blog. Names
may only contain lowercase letters and digits. 4 characters min and
20 max. Here are a few examples:

https://wrongendofthestick.wordpress.com/
https://talkingtechnology.wordpress.com/
https://wheels4heels.wordpress.com/

Choose your name carefully. If you enter a name that hasn't been used
before, WP will tell you that the blog doesn't exist, and will ask you
if you want to create it. If you do, fill in the simple form and
congratulations, it's a blog!

And a blog _is_ like having a baby. It's a huge commitment. Don't
bring it into the world only to get bored with it after a month.
WordPress.com is blighted by stalled blogs, many of them abandoned the
moment they were created. :'(

Lastly, for now, I've recently created a mailing list called Group W
Bloggers (named after the notorious Group W bench immortalised in Arlo
Guthrie's 1967 song, Alice's Restaurant). It was originally intended
as a mutual support group for Irish bloggers with disabilities, but
Ireland is a small country and there simply aren't enough of us! :) So
I'm widening the entry criteria to anyone anywhere who speaks English
and is interested in blogging. Send an email to:

group-w-bloggers+subscribe@xxxxxxxxx

to sign up.

BFN!

John