[access-uk] Re: Blindy.TV

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 19:40:09 +0100

Blindy.tv is not an official TV station, it is simply streamed audio described programs from people's personal collections if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't follow the traditional broadcast schedules of any BBC channel and so is a totally independent service, thus you don't need a TV license to watch it. i think the internet and particularly live TV streaming have really blured the lines here, theeretically if you stream any program while it is being broadcast on any BBC TV station then you need a TV license, however I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for actually not having a TV license in their home were internet is used as the medium for TV watching and no TV is in the home. The BBC does not require you to validate yourself when attempting to watch live streams, perhaps they should ask for a license number and identity validation before allowing you to stream live TV stations, but that would throw lal sorts of problems in the works for both the ligitimate license holder as well as the non fee paying viewer.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: whizza
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:15 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Blindy.TV

Hi Paul,
I would have thought that as there was no picture, you wouldn't need a TV
licence.  When the RNIB used to supply those sound receiver things, you
didn't need a TV licence because there was no picture, just sound.  If Hi.

there's no picture on blindy.tv, then surely the same should apply here too.

Cheers,
Sandra.