[access-uk] Re: Blind or Severely sight impaired?

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:41:05 +0100

Hi,

I've not come across this particular phrase before.  I suppose some people
don't like the word blind and this "severely sight impaired" is trying to
avoid the use of the word blind.

Personally, I never like to use the word "severely" in relation to any
impairment as I think it has negative connotations and starts ranking some
impairments as being more/less important/meaningful than others.  I prefer
to use either blind or visually impaired and most VI people I've come across
are happy with this.

Catherine