[access-uk] Re: Belt Warns Visually Impaired about Obstacles: Scientific American Podcast

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley23@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:38:28 -0000

I can't remember the name of the device, but back in 2004, the NFB in the US were testing a similar device. That one hung round the neckand the device rested on the chest. There were 3 indicators in the neck strap; one at the back of the neck,and one at either side. If there was an obsticle on the left , the left indicater would vibrate likewise the one on the right. If there was something directly in fromt of you, the one on the back of the neck vibrated. This device also had a cumpas facility which you could set if you were walking across an open space to keep you walking straight. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Weston" <n.weston42@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>