[access-uk] Re: BT Infinity

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 10:18:48 +0100

Thanks Jackie, *smile*. I concur but will make enquiries on my return from Dublin to London, though I have to say my speed in London is very good indeed. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Ian McNamara <ianandriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: pass this on to anyone you know.

Date: 10 May 2012 02:47:04 GMT+01:00

To: Julie Vaughan <julievaughan2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lewis Crack
<lewiscrack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, william lomas <will.d.lomas@xxxxxxxxx>,
Wayne
Chapman <w.chapman968@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James AUSTIN
<james.austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

PLEASE PASS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY.

I received a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing me that
he was
dis-connecting me because of an unpaid bill.
He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £118.00 to
re-connect at a later date..

The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media,
allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line
rental!

I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock
with a
very 'African' accent - & phone number -
0800 0800 152.

Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered
demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how &
he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would dis-connect
my
phone to prevent this. AND HE DID !!

My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me
again.

Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he
was
with BT. I asked how the payment was to be
made and he said credit card, there and then.

I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no
intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name
or that he worked for BT.

He hung up.

I  1471 - number withheld

I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized., so I phoned
the
police to let them know. I wasn't the first!
It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this
scam. The
fact that the phone does go off would
probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many
friends &
family aware of this.

How is it done?

This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it
should
have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through
to BT Business.

The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line
with the
mute button on and you can't dial out - but
he can hear you trying (This is because the person who initiates a
call is
the one to terminate it). When you stop
trying he cuts off and immediately calls back.

You could almost be convinced!

The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool
the
elderly and vulnerable.

By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get
past
merchant services - it is all about getting
the credit card details which include the security number so that it
can
be used for far larger purchases.

Andy ORPIN

Police Community Support Officer