[access-uk] Re: BT Broadband Desktop Help software. and screen readers

  • From: "John Farley" <john_farley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:12:48 +0100

Yes, BT are still continuing their lack of interest in accessibility issues.

The new BT Total Digital includes BT Broadband Talk. This appears to be a
virtual phone on the screen which you need to mouse around and click the
buttons, I think as I don't know as it is an image and takes no account at
all for users with screen readers. It is totally inaccessible, not just
difficult.

I did write to BT and did get some response, including a very long phone
call where I tried to explain what was wrong. I was assured they would get
back to me.

Yes, you know what happened. Nothing.

The conversation with the gentleman concerned who claimed to be a manager on
the broadband product was quite interesting from another point of view. I
have stayed on the old Option 4 account for various reasons, which I will
not go into here. He was not even aware that this could be done and he was
equally not aware that one of the reasons for doing this was that this
Option has a 50GB download quota per month.

The general customer liaison from BT is a shambles.

Do not install their software, it is equally bad.

Before someone asks why am I still with them as my ISP there are 3 main
reasons.
I believe, maybe wrongly, that as BT own the infrastructure, then any issues
will be dealt with more quickly than if my ISP were another customer.
I have used my existing e-mail id for many years and do not want to change
it. I am aware that I could continue to use it from BT from another ISP for
a fee.
Inertia, I don't want to go through the effort  of all the work that would
be involved in changing to a new ISP.

Regards, John

Contact on : (Home)
john_farley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx