[access-uk] Re: BT 1471 callback

  • From: "Keith Barrett" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:59:39 +0100

On 4 Jul 2004 at 20:01, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So aparently sometime this year there will be a service charge for the
> callback element of the 1471 service - i.e, you dial 1471, hear the
> number, then press 3 to ring the person back.  This charge will
> aparently be 6p (not sure whether this includes VAT or not).  Does
> anyone know if there is a service which would stop this charge from
> taking place, and what are people's views on this?  I use this service a
> lot because it means I can call people back without having any extra
> equipment with me (dictaphone et al).
Andrew,

Perhaps you should get one of the talking caller display units and stop
using 1471.

We did this and, now we have access to the last 10 numbers and you
can dial while the number is being announced.

This is another example of rip off bt and why I avoid them whenever
possible.

Actually, what happens to this charge if you use csarrier preselection,
where your call is routed to the cheapest provider.  No doubt calls made
using 1471 are exempt from this service as well, like call diversion.

Also worth noting that companies like onetel do an anytime option where
the hour rule does not apply.

Sorry about the rant but you did ask.

> Andrew.
> ** vacation ## d