[access-uk] Re: BRAILLE ON PACKAGING

  • From: Kelsey Trevett <kelsey.trevett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:46:51 +0100

Hi,
I think that too many people believe that not reading grade 2 Braille is a
crime in itself. It is so competitive: "I can read grade to, you can't". I
think that both grades have a place in society but I do agree that uncontracted
Braille make so much more sense logically. Spelling is obviously a skill that
all blind people must have, just as cited  people do. I understand that grade
to braille leaves many blind people feeling that they don't need to know how to
spell when in fact, they really do. When I was taught grade 2, I was made to
learn to spell every word before I was allowed to use it. Four example, I
couldn't use the contraction for knowledge until I knew how to spell it. This
helped me immensely, and is why I can spell reasonably well today. Many blind
people use laptops with screen readers, which don't have contractions. This is
where they fall down as they can't spell and professional or official documents
look messy and unprofessional. Now, by know means am I saying every blind
person suffers from this, I'm just saying that some people who learn grade to
have never learned to spell properly.

Sent from my iPhone