[access-uk] Re: BEGINNING TO LOOK AT WINDOWS 10 AND HAVE QUESTIONS

  • From: Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:45:30 +0100

Hi Carol
I would be cautious regarding windows 10 Microsoft are touting it as a
one fits all solution but a number of questions remain unanswered.

this raises a knotty question in several respects.

1) the accessibility( or otherwise) will not be known until it hits the
streets

2) if you have windows 7. 8 or 8.1 AND you have a comparable computer,
you will shortly get a pop-up to remind you that you qualify fora free
upgrade.( the free upgrade DOES NOT sappy to previous versions of windows.

3) as part of the upgrade process you will have the option of
downloading an upgrade advisor which will check to see if your computer
is comparable with windows 10

The free upgrade is only available for ONE YEAR from the date of general
release.
here is a link for the official windows 10 site where ( hopefully) you
can get some straight answers

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/official-windows-10-site-is-live-now/f4c29929-e011-4c7e-911b-df71e20dd35e

hopefully that will be of some help, I realise my response does not
answer your questions, it is something of an unknows for many since
Microsoft are trumpeting the "cool" features of the new windows.

one thing is for sure. Windows 10 may not work on as many computers as
people might hope.something I figured out by looking at the line-up of
computers that MS recommend as comparable. if it means buying a new
computer in order to get he "free" windows 10 the prices are for the
most part in the £700 range and up.

in short , even if you have a compatible version of Windows, your
computer may not be considered compatable especially if it is more than
say 3 or 4 years old.

hope that is of some help

ATB

Shaun

On 11/06/2015 21:22, Carol.Pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Redacted sender
carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

Hi all,

I have some questions about Windows 10 and really want to know more,
so here's a starter:

1) What do you gain (in terms of new features) from Windows 10.
(Please feel free to refer me to a useful and straightforward article
in this respect if you wish.)

2) If you have Windows 10 and you're totally (or more or less
totally) blind, what is the access like with Jaws and NVDA. (I don't
use Window-Eyes, but if you want to add this info for those who may
wish to know ... fine.)

3) What things just don't work well?

4) What are the familiar things about Windows 10 to those of us who
are on Windows 7?

5) What are the new concepts that we'll have to learn?

6) If you've upgraded, would you say "Wait", "Upgrade but
cautiously if .." or "Don't"!

I hope some of you will at least answer some of those questions for
me. Didn't think I'd be interested yet but, strangely, I am, just a
bit keen to know ...

Carol P

--

TPP BYPASSES JUDICIAL AND GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT - RESIST IT

*PRIVACY IS A RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION*