[access-uk] Re: BBC-Licence changes?

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 14:23:38 +0000

Hi all,

And what about the limitations to access we still face as visually-impaired TV
viewers, which means we get less for our money? Consider issues such as:

* that a significant number of BBC TV programmes that require audio description
don't carry it
* That the spoken content of too many news items are written to assume site -
what does "This, followed by this, leads to this" mean
* that opportunities to participate further in some programmes are not there
for us - "Please phone, email or visit our website us now. The details are on
your screen.", or the 'pointless' round which lives up to the name of the
programme for us: "Now the picture round. Can you put the names to the
following pictures: A...B...C...D...E"?

In a nutshell, the licence concession is not just about how much money you have
in your pocket. It's also about how much value you get when you shell out that
money. Personally, as a blind person, I'd be happy to pay the full licence if I
was getting the full service, but, though things are improving, there are too
many unnecessary exclusions. Do people think that it's getting any easier to
find out whether the specific programme you want to catch up with is
audio-described on IPlayer?

I think the BBC are getting there, but they're still on the journey.

Best,
Clive