[access-uk] Re: BBC News home page

  • From: Dean Wilcox <wilcoxdean@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:43:02 +0100

This is no help but I used to get the problem on certain websites. I couldn't replicate it when I wanted, the answer was to restart Jaws or my computer but I can't recall the problem with my current version of Jaws, Jaws7. I know Hotmail used to be one of the sites it happened with, I could try and activate a link for one message and would get another a bit up the page. Now I think about it that is a good point, it was always a link above somewhere and never below. Going to the link I wanted, doing a Jaws right mouse click and selecting open seemed to get me round it.

At 11:18 30/09/2007, you wrote:
exactly. Glad to see you've been able to replicate this problem. Thank you.

With a BBC News redesign in progress, I wanted to feedback problems like this.

It could be more of a JAWS issue than a web coding issue - I don't know.

Does anyone here have any ideas why a nearby or adjacent link might be activated when jaws appears to be giving focus to another link? It's a real surprise when you find yourself looking at a news story you didn't want to read. It's a screenreader issue, if you click the link with a mouse in the usual way all the pages are named and labeled correctly for sighted users.

Not knowing how jaws processes or parses pages, I wonder, could this be a display settings issue? Or a colours issue?

...Damon

----- Original Message ----- From: "David W Wood" <g3yxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>