[access-uk] Re: BBC NEWS | Technology | Not long left for cassette tapes (I feel no pain)

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:26:52 +0100

You don't really need all the synchronisation facilties that DAISY format
provides for music distribution.  Though DAISY itself is not tied to a
physical format, the idea of even distributing msuic on a physical format is
threatened in such a way that it would seem unlikely that you would see
compressed versions of tracks on something similar to a CD.  The only area
of the market where this seems at all likely is in the spoken word arena,
there is some demand here for MP3 CDs, mainly for use in-car.

Likewise high bandwidth formats like SACD have a very rough time as most of
the public are not quality conscious but price conscious, for many MP3
quality is good enough, and that is not really the best of the CD quality
let alone SACD.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology