[access-uk] Re: BBC NEWS | Technology | Not long left for cassette tapes (I feel no pain)

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:48:15 +0100

Justin.  If DAISY has a place in the mass market, I think you will find it will
be in the distribution of spoken word and entertainment material, especially
stuff issued by the likes of the Beeb.

My understanding is that DAISY and the American variant, are aimed at
structuring text alongside audio material on digital media, be it CD, memory
cards, or whatever.  This is especially crucial for VI readers who might want,
for example, to do a search on the text element of a book, but then want to
pick up on the spoken word element.  AS things stand, I am pretty sure RNIB do
not structure any, or at least very little, of the material they release.

I'm also pretty sure DAISY and/or the American standard, incorporates the
facility of encryption or at least password protection, of material in an
attempt to ensure that only those for whom its intended can listen to it.

I think purely MP3/MP3 Pro discs may come along for music, maybe at a lower
price, and of course, at lower quality, to standard Audio CD and SACD - if the
former survives.  The Beeb have already released a small amount of material in
MP3 format.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx