[access-uk] Re: BBC NEWS | Technology | Not long left for cassette tapes (I feel no pain)

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:27:11 +0100

Never mind cassettes and vinyl being past their sell-by date;  I thought this
thread was?

If we are talking High Fidelity here, well, there will always be purists who
will have nothing said against vinyl and who seem to regard it almost with a
mystical reverence.  All very good if you've the best of
turntables/cartridges/preamps etc.  Also, fine if you can keep a well pressed
LP in its pristine state.  For 99% of us, that was never so.

AS for DJ's prefering it, that's as much to do with 'scratching' - in the club
scene sense - as anything else, and there are now CD units that seemingly can
make a good job of that.

Again, cassettes could be good on the legendary Nakamichi and Revox decks, but,
again, how many of us went to those lengths or could afford too.

For all practical purposes digital, in the form of CD or now HD or memory
cards, is the practical and very adwquate way audio reproduction is handled.
This thread really started around the issue of cassettes as a carrier of not
just high quality audio but anything to do with information, inlcuding spoken
word.  The only challenge left, as far as I am concerned, is to retain an
intuitive cassette like interface while adding sophisticated search and
indexing features.  The machines we use now can take up where you left off in a
cassette like fashion, and you can easily bookmark without audible tones or the
old, fascical, growling sowed-down indexing speech we used to get on the now
defunct old RNIB student cassettes.  Thank goodness for progress!
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx