[access-uk] Re: BBC Iplayer

  • From: "Rays Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:15:04 +0100

Nice to know people are now concerned about the IPlayer, a subject I brought up
a few weeks ago.

Someone working on the team concerned with this has emailed me to say the sadly
lacking keyboard funtionality will be implemented though I don't know when
because, as I understand it,  a halt is being imposed temporarily on code
changes to the IPlayer over the period of the Olympics.

In fact this keyboard support is a very bad oversight by the Beeb, especially
seeing that Adobe do publish information on how to give access to the time
navigation slider and volume and other controls.

By all means contact Out Of Touch, but their distain for listener input is well
known.  In fact You and Yours should be a better place to air this bad example
of falling down on the accessability job.

Seems too there is more screen reader vendors could do to improve on Flash
accessability, but then one well known amongst them would rather indulge in
screwwing up the competition with useless and inane law suits.

Cheers,
Ray.