[access-uk] BBC IPLAYER

  • From: "Richard Godfrey-McKay" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 17:27:50 +0100

Hi, I paste below a note from the BCAB Chair re this matter.  It seems to me
that it isn't acceptable for BCAB to say "Well they are trying to fix it by
October".  The BBC have, unless Colin can tell me otherwise, an anticipatory
duty not to do this sort of thing in the first place.  A Retrofit isn't good
enough in my view.  We need to get people who provide this kind of service
to appreciate exactly what their obligations are.  I'm not particularly
militant, but as a lawyer, I do believe that you can't decide what bit of
the law you decide to observe and by when, without accepting the
consequences.  (Grumpy from Scotland).

Quote from BCAB follows:
"I thought I would update you all on the BBC I-Player.  First I would like
to thank all of you who responded to my request for comments about any
issues you had had with the I-player.

Just about everybody commented that while it was possible to listen to
complete programmes it was not possible to jump forward and backwards nor to
adjust the volume.  Tink and one of her colleagues at work had a look at the
I-player and observed that the problems related to two slider controls with
the I-player.  She has been in contact with the BBC developers and they are
aware of this issue and are working hard to resolve the issue.  While it
would have been possible for them to put a quick and dirty fix in place they
are developing a solution that will be more robust and hope to have this in
place by October.

The issue was discussed on In Touch this week so you can 'listen again' to
the programme if you want at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cvbkr/
<blocked::http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cvbkr/>  <?xml:namespace
prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Also  the BBC will be setting up a blog with the start of a Hints'N'Tips doc
4 visually impaired users.

We will keep an eye on the situation and hope the BBC meet their deadline."

Richard Godfrey-McKay
Tel: (01738) 445 880
Mobile: (07791) 452 593