[access-uk] Re: BATHROOM SCALES FROM RNIB

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:34:43 +0100

Hi Richard,

I'm responding on list in case anyone else wants to know.

I now have the Vocal 100 bathroom scales up and working, thanks to sighted help!

I found that the instructions weren't too explicit. The sheet suggested there was a "tongue" to be removed which was placed to stop battery shortage, but didn't go on to tell you that the PP3 (for the speech) was shrink wrapped and needed to be put in its little container. I can't now remember if the other batteries needed any further change. I had opened the compartments and seen the batteries were already fitted but hadn't examined them more thoroughly, not wanting to break my new product before I'd even used it . . ..

They are much lighter than the scales of years ago, but they're not so tactile (so for example you need a pen nib to alter some settings). In addition, they have this sort of "springy" feel which means that you have to be very careful how you stand on them and I don't personally think they're very good for people with balance problems. In fact, failure to stand correctly, at the worst, leads to errors and no weight reported and, at the best, does certainly vary the weight given by a pound or two, thus I would question the accuracy of these scales, or at least the usefulness for people who have any difficulty at all in maintaining good balance.

I would doubt that any other scales now offered are any better though, so do try them if you wish.

Remember, this is only a personal viewpoint.

Hope this helps.

--
Carol
carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx