[access-uk] Re: AutoProtect

  • From: "Mark Matthews" <mark.matthews53@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:08:49 -0000

Hi Theresa, I found the following Article on the Symantec Help page.

Begin Extract******
When you start the computer, you see the error message "The Norton
AntiVirus Auto-Protect driver could not be loaded. Your system is not
protected from
viruses. Please restart your computer."

Solution:
This error message can have different causes. Try each solution in the
order that they are listed to fix the problem.

Solution 1: Restart the computer
To fix the problem, run LiveUpdate and then restart the computer.

Click the button and let us run LiveUpdate now for you. Or, to run
LiveUpdate manually, follow the steps in
How to run LiveUpdate.

When finished, be sure to restart the computer.

If you still see the error message, go on to Solution 2.

Solution 2: Verify that the system date is correct
The system date appears on the Window taskbar. To check the date, hold
your mouse pointer over the clock in the right side of your taskbar. The
date appears
in a few seconds.

To correct the date
List of 8 items (contains 2 nested lists)
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Date/Time icon.
3. Select the appropriate year, month, and day.
4. Click Apply.
5. Click OK.
6. Restart the computer.
7. Do the following, depending on whether the date is correct now or
not:
List of 3 items nesting level 1
? If the date is correct and you no longer see the problem, then you are
finished.
? If the date is correct and the problem continues, go to "Register
Wintrust.dll."
? If the date is incorrect, then uninstall Norton AntiVirus, restart the
computer, and examine the date again.
list end nesting level 1
8. Do the following, depending on whether the date is correct now or
not:
List of 2 items nesting level 1
? If the date is still incorrect, the CMOS battery has a problem or the
date in the computer's BIOS is not set correctly. Consult your computer
documentation
or contact the manufacturer of the computer for help with replacing the
CMOS battery or correcting the date in the BIOS.
? If the date is correct and you continue to see the error message, go
on to Solution 3.
list end nesting level 1
list end

Solution 3: Register Wintrust.dll
Follow the steps in this section to register a Windows file and then
restart the computer.

Note: If you have Windows 2000/XP, then this procedure should be done
while logged in as an administrator or as a user with administrative
rights.

To register Wintrust.dll
List of 5 items
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 wintrust.dll
3. Press Enter.
4. Click OK at the next prompt.
5. Restart the computer.
list end

If you continue to see the error message, then go on to Solution 4.

Solution 4: Run the Symantec Automated Support AssistantThe Symantec
Automated Support Assistant finds many problems and then directs you to
one of the
following resources:
List of 3 items
? A technical document
? A file to download
? A virus removal utility
list end

To run the Symantec Automated Support Assistant
List of 3 items
1. Exit all programs, except for your Web browser.
2. Run theAutomated Support Assistant,
and follow its instructions.
The Automated Support Assistant is a quick way to check for the most
common threats.
3. Restart the computer, if prompted.
list end

If you continue to see the error message, then go on to Solution 5.

Solution 5: Remove and reinstall Norton AntiVirus
Find your version of Norton AntiVirus. Then click the link for
instructions on how to uninstall Norton AntiVirus, start the computer
without any other programs
running and then reinstall the program.
******End Extract*****

Source:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006
aaa94/a9355322a1bff6e365256c54000fdcc3?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam&seg=
agCheers,

Note to benefit fully from this article and get all Hyperlinks, it is
necessary to view it at the above URL.

Mark

Mark Matthews
Cardiff, Wales, UK