[access-uk] Re: Audio description of Olympics opening ceremony available anywhere?

  • From: "Vanja Sudar" <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:25:42 +0100

OK, I'm coming late on this thread, but didn't 5live also do the commentary on the opening ceremony? If so, how can one listen to it? It used to be the case that one could click on the name of the program within the schedule and there would be a listen again link, but when one clicks on the link of the show for the time when the opening ceremony happened all we get offered is the 4 mins clip. Also, even if we were able to listen to the show, it'd probably let us listen to full show from 6 PM and, unless I'm mistaken, one can not fast forward with a screenreader when listening to the on demand from the BBC.

Again, perhaps both of those things, listening to the 5 live commentary again and fast forward/rewinding on the BBC radio on demand was discussed previously here, so if it was, feel free to message me off list so we don't bore everyone else with what's already been talked about.

-----Original Message----- From: Jonathan H
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:31 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Audio description of Olympics opening ceremony available anywhere?

OK, I sort of ran out of time to upload the full thing.

What I've done is to chop out all of the country parades up until
where Team GB come in.
Then I've transcoded it to a high quality AAC file. The extension is
mp4; in the extremely unlikely event your player doesn't recognise it
try renaming the extension to .m4a.
The resulting file is 66mb. But once again, please don't complain that
you wanted to hear the Zambian athletes being described. Cos it ain't
there!
Here's the link: https://www.box.com/s/0924f389b84f83f0828a

Incidentally, I was wondering where you can get the amazing music from
the industrial and flame lighting sections.
Turns out you can't without buying a whole album. However, I've seen
these links floating around. For the purposes of technical interest
only, I had a look and reckon they might be working.
I couldn't possibly say whether visiting the links would be the right
thing to do, though. But given then a fair few of your tax pounds have
paid for it, I wouldn't blame you if you did!

The tracks are:

And I will kiss  - from the Pandemonium / Industrial section -
http://d.pr/a/FkLE
Caliban's dream fom the flame lighting - http://d.pr/a/J6LL

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's not a button, it's a link hidden right at the bottom of the second page.

It being a zip wouldn't have helped; it would have probably actually
made the file larger.

Give me another 2 hours and it'll be up somewhere improved!

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Mike Cassidy <mike.cassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

I could only find one button and that sent me to this .exe file; I tried
Paul’s trick as saving as all files and was no more successful. I wish the
file had been submitted as a .zip file; life would have been a whole lot
easier. Please could you tell me where the correct button is.

Thanks and regards,

Mike