[access-uk] Audio Description for Scotland

  • From: "Andy Logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:35:57 +0100

Hi all.

Further to an earlier message, I have been advised that in order for me to
watch I~TV's The Royal in Audio Description, then I should have tuned into
ITV London and not to ITV Scotland.

If the situation was reversed, then I'm sure there would be plenty of mail
on this list asking why this should be the case, and rightly so.

Surely, you'd think that an ITV programme  which was being screened both
north and south of the border at the same time, would both have audio
description?

This happens a lot to me.  I'm all set up to watch an advertised AD movie
only to find out that it's not described up here in Scotland.

For my TV listings, I use the Guardian at:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/

I also use the Audio description TV guide at:
http://www.tvhelp.org.uk/audes/schedule.php

Unfortunately, both of these are mainly concerned with English broadcasts,
and although both may advise that a particular programme is being screened
with description, this is not always the case for us Scottish viewers.

I subscribed to My Digiguide and although this service does give a fairly
comprehensive coverage as to what's on, it's quite a difficult site to use
properly.

Is there any Scottish list members who uses an alternative TV listing that
actually works for them?  If so, then I'd be very interested in checking it
out.

However, for all of my English friends on the list, you really cannot beat
the Guardian.  I've been using it for several years quite happily, though
I'm frequently let down as I was this evening.

Any advise very welcomed.

Andy