[access-uk] Re: Audible access site

  • From: Paul Warner <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:43:59 +0100

Dynamic content per se is not the problem. Alas, it's the awareness and skill of the web developer to implement the correct ARIA API which is the deciding factor. If the accessibility standards are followed, there's no issue.

Paul

On 14/05/2013 13:09, Terry clasper wrote:
ah yes indeed, its the dynamic content that I think is causing the problem, and
probably the reason its not for me is because I'm using the mac which deals
with this stuff far better than Windows screen readers just at the moment.
Saying that however I did manage to get around the new site reasonably
effectively on my Windows machine with jaws 14.
So whilst the dynamic content of the site doesn't make it terrifically
accessible the reality is that this is the way many sites are going now!

On 14 May 2013, at 12:56, Paul Warner <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Terry,

What screen reader are you using?  I have been using NVDA with audible.com and
the dynamic content of the site is just not accessible.

The audible.com site has had the alternative site message at the top of each
page for a while now but all this seems to do is to present the home page in a
non-ARIA way, i.e., some links which are in drop down menus in the 'normal'
page are given their own space away from drop down menus on the alternative
page.  However, although the alternative page message appears on the pages
which have accessibility problems, clicking on the suggested link just takes
you back to the alternative home page, not to an accessible version of the page
you are on.

Paul

On 14/05/2013 12:36, Terry clasper wrote:
To be honest I am not sure what all the fuss was about.
Sure the access page looks very similar to the old style site and it works ok,
but, having said that, I didn't have an issue with the new site once I'd taken
time to understand how it worked.
For sure it and a couple of accessibility issues but no worse than many of the
other sites I need and want to access on a daily basis.

On 14 May 2013, at 12:33, "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The Audible.co.uk site now has a message at the top of each page about
accessibility, and directing people to www.audible.co.uk/access. Looks
like they may have taken heed of people's messages to them!

Steve

--
For the first time, all our artefacts are open to the public for free in one
place. Find out more about RNIB Heritage Services' hidden gems:

DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

Paul Warner VICT Consultancy Software development and assistive technology
training www.vict-consultancy.co.uk Sales of vTurbo and vMouse for NVDA trigger
donations by our sponsor to NV Access