[access-uk] Re: Asda online.

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:06:56 -0000

Steve,

        Sorry not to leap into the fray, but this isn't a screen reader
issue. There are many images that do not have alt text, including some =
of
relatively high importance.

        For example, a graphical link leading to a special offer for Lenor
fabric conditioner. As expert screen reader users, you and I might guess
that "panels_r4/SB_lenors_fabcon_35257" leads to special offer =
information,
we might even follow the link to find out if we were curious enough. =
But,
many people would find it confusing and would probably never realise =
what
the link was intended for.

        It doesn't stop with screen readers though. As far as I can
determine in a quick rummage, all font sizes are set in stone, as is the
layout of the page. No good to=20
        There area multitude of rblms thatw o ffect peopewith cognitive,
physical and someone with  mild visual impairment who would benefit from
increasing the size of text or maximising the size of the browser =
window.

        There are a multitude of other problems that would affect people
with other disabilities as well. Accessibility is not just a visual
impairment issue. It's a people issue.

Regards,
L=E9onie.

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf =
=3D
=3D3D Of L=3D3DE9onie Watson

Ray,

        I must admit the thought of going to a supermarket doesn't appeal to
me. I'm quite happy shopping with Sainsburys or Tesco, both have their =
=3D =3D3D
=3D3D3D pros and cons. I like doing my shopping with a glass of vino in =
hand,
=3D =3D3D seems =3D3D3D much more civilized somehow!

        I'm never going to live down the L3o9ie thing am I? *Smile. Tink was
so much easier, but I kept getting too close to signing work emails with =
=3D
=3D3D =3D3D3D my nick, so figured better safe than sorry and to hell =
with some =3D
=3D3D3D applications not liking the accent.

Regards,
L=3D3D3DE9onie.=3D3D3D20