[access-uk] Re: Anyone tried the new Narrator in Windows 2004

  • From: Amro Bilal <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 12:50:56 +0100

Hi Steve and all,

This talk of the enhanced Narrator got me excited but I came across this while investigating to update my Windows 10 to the 2004 version

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

and there are few articles about those known issues. It looks Microsoft is preventing devices from updating to 2004 for the time being until they iron out any issues. Just thought I’d draw people’s attention… I was going to force the update but I’m holding back now.

Regards,

Amro

On 03/06/2020 04:20 pm, Steve Nutt wrote:

Hi all,

I am just playing with Narrator in Windows 2004.  To be honest, for pure responsiveness, it blows JAWS and NVDA out the water.  I was very surprised, although I shouldn’t be, as it is baked into the operating system.

If they keep this up, they could kill commercial screen readers quite honestly.

Also, because some of the commands are very similar to JAWS now, it’s not a great leap to try Narrator.

Give it a go, you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Even with Outlook now, it goes straight to reading the message automatically, without much preamble, it’s pretty darned good, and I could get used to this.

All the best

Steve

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq