[access-uk] Re: Anyone been involved in PDF creation?

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:37:44 +0100

Ray,

        The problem you describe sounds as though the source order of the
content hasn't been tagged properly. If changing the reading order doesn't
help, the chances are that some fairly extensive work would need to be done
to the PDF to make it accessible.

        PDF accessibility stems almost entirely from two things. The
accessibility of the source document and the tool used to convert it into
PDF format.

        The best source document is a well structured Word document. By
structured, I mean using Word styles to apply headings, lists and so forth.
Unfortunately by the right tools, I do mean Adobe Acrobat Pro.

        The only potential contender is Office 2007. The following blog post
takes a comparative look at the two conversion tools:
http://alastairc.ac/2007/08/comparing-tagged-pdfs-from-office-and-acrobat/

Regards,
Léonie.