[access-uk] Re: Any difficulties found with aftermath of Windows 10 Upgrade

  • From: "G. McFarlane" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 05:47:01 +0100

Hi again
Can I reply to my own message.
For anyone thinking of upgrading to Windows 10. I reported that my PC kept crashing. I've discovered why and now it's fixed things are pretty good, witth Jaws too. I mentioned I had a fairly full PC. I was using an SSD hard drive of about 250Gb. When the upgrade was being made it created a winows old folder so that one could go back to Windows 7 or 8. I discovered this was about 40Gb and it meant that my free space was much limited thus the crashing. Removing this folder has made the PC work well.
Just a tip tto remember - you'll need some free space to work with and the old version needs to be bargained for.
Gordon McFarlane

-----Original Message----- From: Chris
Sent: Sunday, August 2, 2015 8:19 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Any difficulties found with aftermath of Windows 10 Upgrade

Hi I will answer 2 and 3 since I am not a JAWS user.
2. Most likely JAWS is the culprit. I am getting very few crashes, if at
all, when using NVDA.
3. As per (2), NVDA works very well under Windows 10 with exceptions,
such as Windows complaining that it isn't compatible and the lack of
Edge support. But no screen reader at this time supports Edge.

On 01/08/2015 23:22, G. McFarlane wrote:

Hi
I’ve installed Windows 10 twice now and followed the Jaws instructions successfully. Finding a bit of crashing still in Windows Explorer and Live Mail. Jaws will either disappear or the programs crash after a while and the PC needs rebooting.
1. Is anyone finding something similar? I’ve checked to see if the Prevview Pane is checked – a remedy in Windows 7 & 8 – it isn’t ticked. Any other thoughts?
2. If you don’t use Jaws, are there crashing problems. (tthis is to eliminate the possibility Jaws is causing a problem)
3. If you use NVDA is the experience of Windows 10 good?
4. If you did a fresh install, losing all your personal stuff and programs, then installed Jaws – are things running smoothly. (I installed Windows 10 from a fairly full Windows 7 PC – normally for best results I would have done a complete reinstall, ut Windows and microsoft seemed fairly confident things could install well and keep your settinngs)
Thanks.
Gordon McFarlane