[access-uk] Re: Anti-spam program experiences

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:45:11 +0100

Vince asked, re. Cactus Spam:
"that's massively useful, Ray. Do these programs do more than your message
rules? I wonder whether you can block sub-domains, e.g., or stop messages
with blank subject lines?"

I don't know Vince.  I am sure though that the email headers are being scanned
for evidence of originating domains and spoofing techniques, not just the
subject lines.  In the case of the stuff I was getting the subject line and
from lines were being morphed, as is common these days, so attempting to create
OE filter rules wouldn't have been useful.

In many of these unwelcome guests the body was 'text' but images of text.  It
could be that the program looks at body characteristics too, though I don't
know that.  Obviously words in the body of the text can help in the case of
begging letters, bank phishing scams, etc.

I'll try and keep folk posted as to how effective this program is and I am sure
that sooner or later a bit more teaching in the training arena is going to be
necessary.  Maybe some of the paid-for offerings update their program via a
database of information about new threats and I do know that programs being
used to protect corporate servers are now dealing with morphing techniques by
employing 50,000 variables and upwards using very complex techniques.

Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx