[access-uk] Re: Anti virus/ anti spy ware etc

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:10:00 +0000

Peter Beasley  wrote:

> I am suspicious of Microsoft. I would always go for a third party
> solution.

Hi Peter - Microsoft Security Essentials is only for machines running MS
Windows, so it wouldn't be available for your system - are you Mac or Linux?

For those who ARE using an MS Operating System, I'd definitely and heartily
recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

I've built up a bit of a niche service in my town for reviving old and
flagging PCs and laptops, and one of the biggest performance increases you
can do - apart from add more RAM! - is to get rid of other software and put
MSE on. And no, I'm not a Microsoft Fanboy, I just know what's worth very
well for me and 20 or so old PCs over the last couple of years.

Think about it this way - if you bought a Ford car and it came with a free
airbag, would you say to the dealer "actually, don't fit your own system
into your own car - bloke down the market says he can fit one from China
for £250 quid"?