[access-uk] Re: Android help, please

  • From: Thomas <mrnoisy98@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 19:02:30 +1100

Thanks for that.
I actually found the talkback update just after sending this message, and now have focus audio on.
Thanks for your help!!!
I am going to search for different voices after finishing this email, but can you please tell me some for reference?

Thanks loads,
-tom.
On 3/04/2013 18:44, Steve Nutt wrote:

Hi Tom,

OK, let's see what we can do with this little lot.

1. Is it possible to download different [English] voices for talkback than those which come pre-installed?

Yes, there are tons. Just check on the Play store. Some are free, some you buy.

2. Are there any accessible gallery applications in which I can brows any photos I take with my device camera? / Also, are there any camera applications that allow me to use the front-facing camera, or am I missing something?

I honestly don't know that one.

3. Is there some sort of service like Vizwiz or Taptapsee available for android?

Google Goggles. Search for it on the Play Store. It's more advanced than TapTapSee as well, as it can take single shots, or continuous for example. It's also free.

4.    Where can I get flash player?

As far as I know, you can't.  It was pulled from the Play Store.

5.    In general, any suggestions for apps that are accessible?

http://www.androidaccess.net or http://accessibleandroid.blogspot.com.

6. When in the apps area, do app icons have badges like in iOS, and talkback is just not reading them, or do you only get notifications in the statusbar and notification shade?

Don't start comparing Aples to Androids <Smile>. No there are no badges. The notification bar is where it's at.

7. Is there any way to asign talkback jesture shortcuts that aren't defined by default? Specifically I am talking about a system-wide play/pause controll.

Nope.

8. Is there any way to make talkback act in a simmilar way to Voiceover in that it will dip the volume of media content when talking?

Yes, Settings, Accessibility, Text To Speech Output, then click Talkback On then click Talkback Settings. In there is Focus Audio, turn it on or off. For this to work you must have the latest Talkback V3.3. It sounds like you haven't though, since Audio Focus is on by default, so time to update Talkback.

9. Any suggestions on using the youtube app, it seems to be usable, but not intuative... It's good, don't get me wrong, though.

Not sure what you mean here.  It just works for me.

Sorry I have so many questions,

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Thanks,

All the best

Steve

--
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein