[access-uk] Android devil's advocate

  • From: "Edward Green" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:02:29 +0100

Hi all,

I've followed with interest the debate on Android, and I'd like to know
whether my understanding is accurate.

Firstly, I can buy a phone running Android, but my ability to get it talking
may depend both on the version of the operating system and on whether the
manufacturer of the hardware has decided to mess around with the OS or not
such as to impair the accessibility.

Secondly, my ability to take advantage of upgrades to Android will depend on
whether there is an official release of the version for my phone or whether
I want to risk installing an unofficial release on it that may or may not
work.

Thirdly, the Android phone that I buy as new may not be able to support the
latest version of Android.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of this.

Ed