[access-uk] Re: Always on ADSL/cable differences

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:27:33 -0000

Hi,

The cable issue is because the cable modem authenticates when the modem
is switched on.  As I said the only reason ADSL is the way it is is
because the authentication process is done via Windows RAS when a
standard modem is used, and because there is more scope for change with
ADSL than there is for cable.  For example, under cable, you are quite
often given equipment which you have very little or even no control
over.

Both systems are "always on" if you like that term, its just the
smoke/mirrors behind the different modems/routers which give you
different experiences.

Thanks.
Andrew.