[access-uk] Re: Always on ADSL

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:31:03 +0100

This depends on the hardware you use to connect to your ADSL, which can
contrary to what some cable providers and users say can be as always on as a
cable modem.  The difference is how you connect to your modem.  Many
providers of ADSL connection for home starter kits will supply USB modem
because it's simpler to get users going with this.  Some including Plusnet
also do a PCI modem (I fitted one of these recently to a Windows 98 PC).  In
both these cases the modem whether connected to ADSL or regular analgoeu
line looks the same to windows, therefore it appears very much like a dial
up modem albeit somewhat quicker.  Once you start the connection however
there is no need to cut the connection, if your broadband connection cuts
out after 20 minutes in this scenario then it's probably down to the
settings for the modem cutting off after what appears to be that length of
innactivity on the line.

The second way you can connect to ADSL is more familar to those who use
cable.  In this scenario your computer makes a network conenction with your
ADSL modem/router using a length of straight cat 5 network cable, usually
you get one with the mdoem/router but you can be lengths pre-made to suit
your setup as well.  In this case there is no dial up connection to worry
about as the connection is being accessed as a network service.  In this
scenario you are not aware of a dial up connection unless the network
connection fails.

The second router option only requires marginally more savvy to do it, but
not much.  Netgear do some single port one's as well as the multi-port and
even wireless routers which are very good.  I've used two of the Netgear
boxes and both are easy to use and accessible if you need to use a screen
reader.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology