[access-uk] Alva Braille display and RNIB

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:57:10 -0000

Hi Guys

I have had an Alva ABT80 Braille display that I bought secondhand about six
years ago.  Until Saturday, it was working a treat, but it has since given up
the ghost for no apparent reason.  Ian has checked the power supply, and it is
still working.  For those who know the Alva, it gives a double chime when it is
turned on, but only half the chime is now dinging, and it repeatedly does this
until the PC has loaded.

I contacted Professional Vision Services, and spoke to Philipa.  She was
actually really helpful, and apologised that she couldn't help as they no
longer stock them because, guess what, RNIB bought them all over and promised
to sell them by the hundred (smile).

So folks, my worst nightmare has been realised.  It looks like I'll have to
contact the so-called technical support team at our lovely charity, and see how
much they will fleece me for sending it down for repair or at least a check-up.

Has anyone had anything like this repaired by RNIB, and if so, was it
satisfactory?  I'm really worried about sending it, but I can't just write it
off either as it's been a cracking display.

I wish there were more Dave Godfreys about.  He recently sorted something on my
PowerBraille, which I also bought secondhand some years back.  Now it's working
brilliantly, but I'd like to see the Alva get better too.

Any ideas please?

Jackie

Email: cairnsplace@xxxxxxx
Skype Name: Cairnsplace