[access-uk] Alternative podcast receivers

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:06:23 +0100

HI all

I know most of you will be using juice to download and listen to podcasts, but
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with other receivers.  this is
mainly because Juice has a number of significant shortcomings, and I was
wondering if any of these have been addressed by other clients.  I have listed
my issues with Juice below.

1.  The route of your downloads folder has to be the same for all podcasts, so
for example you can't save the downloads from one feed to c:\my podcasts, and
the downloads from another feed to f:\, which might be an mp3 player, for
example.

2.  You can't cut and paste locally-saved files downloaded from podcasts
directly from the list of episodes, you have to open up the Downloads folder in
Windows Explorer and do it from there.

3.  You can't stream podcast audio directly from source.

4.  And most importantly of all, you can't decide on a per-feed basis whether
you want all episodes to be downloaded automatically when you do an automatic
or manual "check all".  It would be good to be able to monitor podcasts,
examine the shownotes etc, and then decide later whether to download the audio.
 currently, the only way to do this is the "check selected" option in the tools
menu, which means you can't do automatic downloading without downloading all
content from all ffeeds, and have to be very careful when downloading manually.

So is anyone else using another accessible desktop podcast receiver which
overcomes any of these issues?

thanks

James