[access-uk] Re: AllofMP3 and credit card payments

  • From: "John Gurd" <j.gurd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:34:31 +0100

Hi Steve, you must have a very special credit card so I'd keep a hold of it
if I were you (smile). Looks like times up for the rest of us - see below
article from BBC. Looks like our credit card companies think they can tell
us what we should be spending our money on, or not!

John

Credit card firms shun MP3 site
Visa and Mastercard have stopped accepting credit card transactions for
music downloading site AllofMP3, which is accused of illegally selling
songs.

The Russian-based company, which offers chart music at a fraction of the
price charged by services such as iTunes, insists it is within the law.

But US officials say AllofMP3 operates outside international agreements and
no artists have been given royalties.

The site is now directing customers to pay through another site.

But Visa said it had already stopped accepting payments from that site too.

"The action Visa has taken is in line with legislation passed in Russia and
with basic international copyright and intellectual property norms," a Visa
spokesman said.

A Mastercard spokesman added the firm "did not tolerate the use of its
network for illegal activity".

'Unfairly characterised'

Mediaservices, which owns AllofMP3, says that by paying royalties to a
Russian licensing group, it is in compliance with Russian laws.

Earlier this month, Vadim Mamotin, director general of Mediaservices said:
"The company has been unfairly characterised as a pirate website. Nothing
could
be further from the truth."

He added that the company paid royalties to the Russian Multimedia and
Internet Society (ROMS), but the organisation's offers of payment to artists
had
been rebuffed.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/6065492.stm