[access-uk] Re: Advice on strange phone calls

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:05:27 +0000

Hi.
Oh this is very reassuring, thank you very much.
Take care.

Chris Hallsworth

On 04/02/2011 15:28, Barbara Wilson wrote:
Hi Chris

I recently got a spate of these silent calls and rang BT to check them
out and ask their advice.

They told me that certain marketing companies phone different areas for
a few weeks, then move onto another. This explains why you suddenly get
these calls for ablock of time, then none.

An automated dialler calls a number and when you answer, one of the
operators is alerted that they have hit on an active number and will
take the call. If there is no available operator, the call will sound to
you like there is no-one there.

Does this make sense? They will only stop once you don't answer for a
few calls, but of course you answer just in case it is a genuine call.

They told me that sooner or later they will move onto another area.

I hope I have explained this properly and haven't totally confused you!

Kind Regards

Barbara Wilson
M: 07917710779
T: 02887784046