[access-uk] Advice on serial to USB Cable for braille display?

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BCAB Discussion List <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:12:20 +0100

Hello Everyone.

I have in my possession a powerbraille braille display. I have no ideas if this will work with the latest jaws or NVDA, but the other problem I have is that this display has a serial port for connection. Most modern PC's don't have a serial port, so I went on the hunt for a serial to USB cable. I managed to find one on amazon, but one of the reviews says the following.

This is a high quality and well functioning USB to RS232 adapter, make no mistake. It's highly rated reviews attest to this. However its Prolific chip set is not compatible with some hardware especially it seems devices that require the exchange of 'nul' i.e. ASCII code 00 characters. It is not compatible with HyTek's Meet Manager and Daktronics race timing hardware and will cause Run-time error 8020. Choose a FTDI or Moxa adapter for this equipment or if you know you'll be communicating with nul characters.

will this cable work with my display based on the above comments? also, does anyone know if it'll work with jaws or NVDA?

many thanks in advance,

Mo.