[access-uk] Re: Accessing Safe Mode?

  • From: "Ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:30:19 +0200

Well, let's say someone has a hardware synth, how would you then go about
accessing these features, since, if I'm not wrong, JAWS and all other
screenreaders don't load at that time anyway? It was when you mentioned
hardware synths, that I remembered that, when I was at school, in typing class
they used a screenreader called Window Bridge with a Doubletalk synth, and that
I think did speak in SafeMode, but what was cool about that Screenreader was
that it was a Windows and Dos screenreader in one, and Windows relied more on
Dos than it does now. You had that cool option to start in DOS, which was great
to play text adventure games.
Ari
      From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Chris Hallsworth
      To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Again Ray, you wouldn't be able to use it, even though it may "work", as
the necessary sound drivers don't load in safe mode. So unless Braille support
was to be included, I guess we can't use them in safe mode for the time being.
          From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Chris Hallsworth

          Safe Mode does not load sound drivers; in fact, it only loads the
minimal amount of drivers required for Windows. In fact, you can't use any
screen readers in safe mode since even the proper video drivers aren't loaded;
Windows instead loads the native video driver, which I believe causes video
intercept issues. Sorry about that.