[access-uk] Re: Accessing Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre

  • From: "Andy" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:37:41 +0100

Hi Peter.

Nice to see you back up and running.

I have been a list member of Access UK for years now as indeed you have and I'd say it was by far the most important list I'm subscribed to. I'd go further and suggest that it's necessary to subscribe to this list if you have a broad interest in accessing new technology, such as tele-communications, computing or simply getting about.

However, occasionally, like you have, I come up against a brick wall with a subject that I'm convinced that a list member would have knowledge of. Like the subject of combining your hi-fi, television, radio and computer. I'm really quite surprised that there is little interest, thus far, on the subject of Media Centres. Does know one realise that the good old computer in the study is up against a formidable challenger. Computing is coming out of the closet, so to speak, and fighting for it's rightful place, smack-bang in the lounge. A media centre in your living room, will do away with your Hi-Fi, Video, DVD and television set, and will also serve as a platform for ultimately, managing and linking all of your home entertainment gadgetry, from sending a movie to the kids room, or background music in the bathroom, kitchen or even patio.

I'm very interested in learning more about accessing this technology but despite writing on the subject to a number of lists, I am getting very little feed-back so far. I'd definitely subscribe to a blind media centre list, hint, hint, or hear from other visually impaired people who share my interest.

To get a rough idea of where the technology is going, check-out Larry Skutchan's demonstration of Windows Media Centre at:
http://www.blindcooltech.com/

Best wishes.
Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Logue" <peterlogue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>