[access-uk] Accessible timekeeping for presentations

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:39:06 -0000

hi All

Yesterday I had to deliver a short presentation lasting five minutes, as part
of an assessment for a graduate recruitment scheme.  Obviously, we were
expected to stick to this time limit and to do our own timekeeping, and I
believe that there was a clock on the wall with a second hand for this purpose.
 I was unable to access this, and in the end I was so time-conscious that my
presentation under-ran, despite the fact that I had a wealth of material to use.

For regular timekeeping I use a tactile (braille) watch which does not have a
second hand.  When I need to be more precise, I use a talking watch which would
obviously be inappropriate for this situation.  I was just wondering if anyone
had any thoughts on how I might be able to keep time discretely and accurately
in similar situations in future.  I have thought of using my computer and
braille display, but this seems like overkill given the straightforward nature
of the exercise and the fact that hiding behind a computer may have produced
the wrong impression, since no-one else was allowed/expected to use such
equipment.

Any ideas welcome, I think there may be a market for an in-ear whispering timer!

James