[access-uk] Re: Accessible real time bus information systems.

  • From: Christopher Maule-Oatway <c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:59:14 +0100

Hello Vince,

During the ill-fated experiment in Norwich, it was suggested that all the VI users would be given electronic keyfobs, so we could activate the talking bus stops when we needed to. There could be a problem in streets with several bus stops, as you might find yourself setting off more than one bus stop at once - of course, one or two of us might find playing that game once or twice rather amusing!

Cheers,

Chris

At 21:03 06/04/06 +0100, you wrote:

Hi again Jim,

These posts have given me an idea.

When my Dad wants to call the emergency services he just presses a medallion that hangs around his neck. This identifies him and works the phone.

Could something like this be used by one of these talking bus stop systems. ? It would then be possible for a visually impaired person to activate the speech at the bus stop on demand, and obviate the need to have the speech on all the time, if there is any possibility that people living or working nearby might get annoyed by the sound.

The medallions could be issued to registered visually impard people, much like keys to accessible toilets or Blue Badges.

Having said that, what if you wanted to travel in a different city or county? Hopefully such a system would be nationally recognised.

Just a thought.

Vince.