[access-uk] Re: Accessible real time bus information systems.

  • From: "Alexander Shannon" <alexacts2v4@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:46:37 +0100

Hi Jim,

Having read your message I've got two points to make regarding it which will give you perspectives for both Birmingham and London, although what I have to say on this subject is more of a disappointment in the case of Birmingham than in the example I will site in London.

In both the Kings Norton and Cotteridge areas of south Birmingham these information systems are being installed but as far as I can make out with my limited sight, there is not any provision being made for people with visual impairment.

However, when I lived in RNIB Garrow House in Westbourne Park in London, I noticed they had these information systems installed on the bus stops on the Harrow road which were nearest to Garrow House. They had installed a box with a speaker grill and a small button on the front of it and in both the cases I saw, this box was attached to the edge of the bus shelters. On pressing the button a speaker inside the box read the information that was being displayed on the overhead screens you describe. I have not been in that area for some time but I believe the system on the Harrow road was working the last time I used it which was some years ago.

Alexander Shannon