[access-uk] Re: Accessible domestic appliances

  • From: "Jackie Brown" <thebrownsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:32:57 +0100

Hi

As a matter of fact, my talking microwave from Cobolt stopped working last
week.  It had developed an intermittent problem whereby odd announcements
would crop up when nobody was near the machine.  For this reason, I
unplugged it when I was not heating up anything in the oven as it concerned
me that the thing might start up on its own! (smiles).  But when I pressed
the start key one morning last week to heat my daily dose of porridge,
nothing happened, and no other keys would get it to start.

Pricing a new one from Cobolt made me decide that as this one had only
lasted five years, with very little use, I wasn't prepared to pay £215 for
the sake of another one that shouts: "door open, door closed".  And I would
not use the combination oven that is more expensive.  Instead, I rang my
local electrical shop, and they had a microwave with a dial on it for £59,
so I snapped this up.

There is actually nothing to this machine.  It has two dials, one for
temperature, the other for time.  I just put my porridge in the machine,
turn the timer a bit, and count in my head.  It works a treat, and I am very
pleased with it.  I have no idea what the make is, but the guy in the shop
said it is the only microwave he can get now where there are dials and not
touch-controls.

If you want more info, I will ask Martin's sister later if she pops in and
let you know.  But there must be other basic machines around with dials on
them.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Twitter: @thebrownsplace