[access-uk] Re: Accessible bank card

  • From: "Barry Hill" <barry.hill3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 07:12:17 -0000

Thanks, both.

I'm pretty well clued up about these contactless cards now.  I would be
tempted to get one as they are so very convenient for visually impaired
people in particular, but I'm concerned about how easy it would be for
someone else to spend up to £100 of my money if I lost my wallet.  Even if
the bank say they cover for any fraud, I have to fork out the first £50 like
some insurance excess, and I can't afford to give away £50!

I've not lost my wallet in over 30 years, but there's always the chance no
matter how careful I am.  Still, if I do get one, I'm going to put tin foil
in a zip compartment that runs the length of my wallet.

Cheers

Barry

Behalf  > Of  > lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  > Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2015
10:13  > AM  >  > To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  > Subject: [access-uk] Re:
Accessible  > bank card  > >  >  > Can the card details be read from a
contactless payment card  > by a  > NFC app on  > a smart phone? Is there an
app waiting to be written  > here?
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > goshawk on horseback writes:
 >  >  > just my personal point of view, but I think it would have been a  >
far  > > better idea to work out ways around what is almost certainly the  >
hardest  > and  > most frustrating thing with bank or credit cards, that of
> accessing  > the  > details needed to actually use the card, such as card
number,  > start  > and  > expirey dates, and back security number, rather
than prannying  > around  > with  > all these fancy ideas that don't really
do a lot to improve  > usability.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Simon
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
NatWest  > have  > introduced a new accessible debit card.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >     rnib card
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   The new debit and savings cards feature braille, a notch to
 > help
 >  > identify the card and a large print phone number.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   RBS and NatWest are now launching new accessible debit and
 > savings
 >  > cards which have been specifically designed for blind and partially  >
sighted  > customers.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   To address some of the common problems that blind and
 > partially
 > sighted
 >  > customers face, the cards will:
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   .feature braille markings to identify which card is savings
 > and
 > which
 >  > card is debit
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   .have a notch cut out on the right hand side of the card to
 > help
 >  > customers insert their card into ATMs and PIN pads correctly  >  >
 >  >  >   .show telephone numbers where they will be most clear
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   .have large font on the back of the card to make the phone
 > numbers
 >  > easier to read
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   RBS and NatWest's new cards can initially help their 15,000
 > customers
 >  > registered as blind or partially sighted. All other features of the  >
card  > > remain the same - this card can be used in ATMs, at point of sale
> and for  > > Contactless transactions home or abroad. The cards can be
ordered in  > all  > RBS  > and NatWest branches, online or through
telephone banking and  > will be  > issued  > within 48 hours.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   This is the first banking product designed especially for
 > blind and
 >  > partially sighted people. RBS has worked closely with the Royal  >
National  > > Institute of the Blind in the development of this card and in
> recognition  > of  > this work the new debit and savings cards will be the
first  > banking  > products  > to be awarded the new national quality
assurance mark  > 'RNIB  > approved'.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   Ross McEwan, CEO of RBS, said: "We want to be recognised as a
 > bank
 > that
 >  > listens to its customers and responds to their issues. It's really  >
important  > to me that we make banking as simple and easy as possible  >
for  > all of our  > customers and our accessible cards are another step  >
towards us  > earning back  > the trust of the public."
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   Steve Tyler, Head of Solutions, Strategy and Planning at RNIB
 > said,
 > "We
 >  > are delighted to have worked with RBS on making savings and debit  >
cards  > more  > accessible.  The very basic requirement of identifying the
> right  > card and  > quickly determining which way the card slots in to a
> machine or  > payment  > system has been solved by this development.
Simple as it  > is,  > creating a card  > with tactile indicators that
identify the card type  > as  > well as the way in  > which it should be
used, is an engineering  > challenge,  > particularly to ensure  > that it
doesn't disrupt machinery.  We look  > forward to working with RBS in  > to
the future and enhancing even  > more of  > the daily payment challenges
that  > blind and partially sighted  > customers  > experience."
**  > [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
 >  > ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
 >  > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  >  > ** and in the Subject line
type  >  > ** unsubscribe  >  > ** For other list commands such as vacation
mode, click on the  >  > **  > immediately-following link:-  > **  >
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
 >  > ** or send a message, to
 >  > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq  >  >  >  >
software.
 >  >
 >  > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-  >  >
**  > [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
 >  > ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
 >  > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  >  > ** and in the Subject line
type  >  > ** unsubscribe  >  > ** For other list commands such as vacation
mode, click on the  >  > **  > immediately-following link:-  > **  >
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
 >  > ** or send a message, to
 >  > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq  >  > --  >
Les Smithson  > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
link:-  > ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
 > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the  > **
immediately-following link:-  > **
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
 > ** or send a message, to
 > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq  >  >  > ---  >
 >
 > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-  > **
 > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the  > **
immediately-following link:-  > **
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
 > ** or send a message, to
 > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq  >  >  > ** To
leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-  > **
 > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the  > **
immediately-following link:-  > **
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]

Les Smithson

---