[access-uk] Re: Accessible Nokia N95 documentation etc

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 00:47:41 +0100

    With the phone shut, you have a block of keys immediately below the
screen. These are usually inactive, until the phone is slid open, which
deactivates the key lock.

    The top left corner key is Key 1. The top right corner key is Key 2.
I've updated my settings, so that Key 1 goes to Messaging, and Key 2 goes to
Contacts. I'm afraid I forget what the defaults are.

    The bottom left corner key goes to Dialled Numbers. The bottom right
corner key does nothing on mine, until I want to hang up a call. It's worth
noting that the N95 doesn't hang up a call just by sliding the phone shut.

    The central round button is a select button. Pressing it from the start
screen goes to the Contacts on mine. Again, this may be slightly different
for you, as I've changed my settings a little bit here and there. Generally
speaking though, it's the button to use when you want to select something
from a menu.

    Framing the central button is a round button that can be pressed in each
of the four basic directions:

    Up goes to the Profiles, where it's possible to change ringtones etc.
Down goes to the Clock, where it's possible to update the time and find a
global clock.

    Left opens a new text message, with the focus on the "To" field. Right
goes to a list of web bookmarks.

    To the left and right of this circular button, are two flat keys. The
one to the left goes to the menu system. The one to the right goes to the
music player.

    Beneath the circular button is another key. Actually, it's two keys, but
it feels like one.

    The left end is the Talks key. Once you've pressed it, you can let go
and use a wide range of other keys to perform Talks setting changes such as
punctuation, speed and volume. Experiment with the Talks key and keys from
the number pad of the phone.

    The left hand end does nothing, unless you have previously pressed the
Talks button. Then it becomes the mute/unmute button for Jaws. If you hit
this accidentally and loose Talks, just hit the Talks button, followed by
the right hand end of this button again, and Talks will pop back into life.

    Some useful things to note...

    Key 2 will usually exit you out of wherever you are. For example, if you
used the flat button to the right of the circular button, and found yourself
in the music player, Key 2 will exit you back to the start screen. If you're
moving through a menu and you go the wrong way, Key 2 will move you back up
to the previous menu level.

    If you decide to change your ringtone, the N95 will not play the
different ringtones with Talks in action. You'll need to mute Talks (see
above), then move through the list of ringtones until you find one you like.
Use the central round button to select it, then use Talks and the right hand
end of the same button to unmute Talks again.

    Hope all this helps. Shout if you have any questions.

Léonie.

  _____